Saturday, August 07, 2010

80, ATC and sneakpeak

My stephfather became 80 yesterday and I put off making him a card because making male cards is just not my thing. I want to but I can't!
As a boy he worked at the Holland America line so I thought I just google Holland America Line and use some of the pics that came up.
I still had this old book I once found on board of the Godfather, the pages are all yellowish and I thought it now was time to start using the book for my scrapping as I read it like three times now and holding a book that is falling apart in your hands isn't an easy job.
I ripped out a page that I thought looked ok to use with the capital D and all.
Only when I started working with it I found out which pagenumber I ripped out..........................80! Isn't it a coincidence?
I glued the pagenumber behind one of the spacers I used.


Mijn stiefvader werd gisteren tachtig. Het maken van een kaart voor hem heb ik voor me uitgeschoven tot het allerlaatste moment. Ik ben gewoon niet goed in het maken van kaarten voor mannen. Ik wil wel maar het gaat gewoon niet.
Ik heb wat foto's van de Holland Amerika Lijn gegoogled omdat hij daar als jonge jongen heeft gewerkt.

Ik had nog een boek van de Peetvader liggen dat ik ooit aan boord had gevonden en van die heerlijke vergeelde pagina's had. Ik heb hem al drie keer gelezen en het boek valt uit elkaar tijdens het lezen, niet echt handig dus het werd nu echt tijd om hem tot scrapbookmateriaal te bombarderen.
Willekeurig trok ik er een pagina uit die me wel mooi leek. Ik koos deze omdat ik een pagina met een grote hoofdletter wilde.
Pas toen ik ermee aan het werk ging zag ik het paginanummer..........................................80! Is het niet toevallig?
Ik heb het paginanummer dus ook maar gebruikt en achter een spacer geplakt.

Nowadays the Holland America Line building is a hotel, called Hotel New York. My stepfather and my mom took us there to eat once and once for high tea. My stepfather pointed us out behind which window he used to work. In his cabinet he has a little statue of the building. So you see this is something that is in his heart and that is why I wanted it on the card. And he loves boats on top of that.

Tegenwoordig kennen we het gebouw als Hotel New York en mijn stiefvader en mijn moeder hebben ons er wel eens mee naar toe genomen voor een etentje maar ook voor High Tea. Dan wees hij ons ook het raam aan waarachter hij werkte. In zijn kast staat een beeldje van het gebouw. Hij is er dus wel aan verknocht en het leek me daarom zo leuk het in de kaart te verwerken. Bovendien is hij ook gek op boten.

I entered the blog candy at Brynwood Needleworks and didn't win it but the sweet owner of the blog Donna offered an ATC. Knowing her work I wrote her I would one and this is the one I got. I love it! The photo of the two women dancing is fabric. I have bought stuff to transfer photos on fabric some time ago but that puts a layer on the fabric. This photo is really incorporated in the fabric. So beautiful!
I have to ask her how she does that one of these days.
I am thinking about making her one to return the favour but are still waiting for some time and inspiration popping up together.
Ik heb laatst meegedaan aan de blog candy van Brynwood Needleworks en helaas niet gewonnen maar Donna, aardig als ze is, bood een ATC aan aan iedereen die niet gewonnen had. Deze is het, is hij niet prachtig?
Ik heb zelf laatst bij de Hema spul gekocht om foto's/plaatjes op stof te strijken maar dan krijg je zo'n laag op de stof. Deze twee dansende dames zijn ook op stof maar zitten echt in de stof zelf. Zoveel mooier.
Ik moet haar nog eens vragen hoe ze dat doet.

And I have been making beads to an example of the Home and Heart Blog. I will show you some more of that soon.
En ik ben nog bezig geweest met kralen maken naar een voorbeeld van de Home and Heart Blog. Morgen ofzo meer daarover.

Have a nice sunday! I will spent it at the party for my stepfather in my stepbrothers garden.
Fijne zondag allemaal. Ik ga hem doorbrengen op het feestje voor mijn stiefvader in tuin van mijn stiefbroer.

6 comments:

Marjanne said...

mooi hoorje kaartje voor je stiefvader, die Holland Amerikalijn is ook wel een legende he, mijn grootouders zijn daar een keer mee naar Aùerika gegaan,ik weet niet meer hoelang ze onderweg waren... ik heb dat transfertpapier hier ook bij de HEMA gezien en vroeg me af hoe het resultaat zou zijn...
jouw kraaltjes zien er ook heel mooi uit, ik ben benieuwd!
prettig feestje morgen!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Lisette:
I'm so happy you like your ATC. The fabric printing is simple. I purchase inkjet printer fabric from two sources here. Blick Arts and any quilt shop which carries another fabric line from EQ (Electric Quilts) Just choose which design, image or pattern you want to use; load it into your image software; size it for an ATC (2.5" x 3.5" or smaller) and print it onto the fabric. The paper backing peels away, leaving just the image on a soft cotton or silk fabric. See? Easy! I'm going to do an ATC tutorial next week. Hope you'll visit.
xoxo
Donna

Juls said...

so many gorgeous things! Love them all! Hugs Juls

Unknown said...

Als nog gefeliciteerd met je stiefvader.Je kaart die je gemaakt hebt vind ik geweldig dus hij zeker.Mooie atc heb je gekregen .
feestze groetjes,Lean.

Tracie said...

Beautiful card Lisette!

Dora said...

Wat een prachtige creaties erg mooi, en ja wel heel toevallig! Ik hoop dat je een fijne dag hebt gehad!